Saturday, February 4, 2012

Food storage

One of my goals I set for February was to start food storage.  We have been told over and over to have a good supply of food and water in case of an emergency, but the idea of food storage completely overwhelms me.  That is why I made it a goal, so that I would have to figure it out. 
So, I started looking around the internet to know where to start.  I found the below link that has a lot of good ideas on how to start a food storage as well as other items needed in an emergency. 
So the first thing you need is water.  And lots of it.  1 gallon per person per day.  I though that was crazy to have a whole gallon a day, but what I was not taking into account was that you need water for more than just drinking.  You need it for cooking and cleaning.  Ok, so 1 gallon per person per day for 2 weeks....when you put that into 2 liter pop bottles to store, that is 112 bottles for our family!!!  That is still so overwhemling to me.  So, I decided my first goal is to have a 3 day reserve of water.  That is still 24- 2 liter pop bottles, but much for realistic to me.  We usually have pop around the house, so I will fill one up everytime we finish a bottle.  It's a start.  And if I can start, maybe I can finish.  My next goal is a 2 week supply of food and water....then the next goal is a 3 month supply....and we'll see after that.

But for now, lets start at a 3 day supply.


http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/getting-started/

No comments:

Post a Comment